Annie had been asking me for ages to make a cover for her sewing machine so we eventually got around to it this weekend!
We used some red spotty oil cloth we already had and Annie chose a floral piece of bias binding to trim the top of the pocket for the side of the cover.
We used her wee JL Mini sewing machine and it was very much a combined effort between the two of us. I encouraged her to sew the straight edges and she did the most of the pocket.
Her sewing machine does not have a handle so this is very much a dust cover rather than any kind of carrier or protective case. During the nicer weather when she doesn't use it as much it can look pretty on the shelf!
We planned for 4 pieces of fabric...1 to go up and over the main part of the machine, 2 end pieces and a small square to create a pocket on one of the ends.
We measured the height of the sewing machine, across the width and back down the other side. This gave us our measurement for the long length of fabric.
We measured the height and width of each end and added a small seam allowance.
Sew the bias binding along the top edge of the pocket.
We then sewed the pocket in position along the 2 edges on one of the end pieces.
Lay the pocket end (lengthways) along the long edge of your large piece of fabric and sew.
As you reach the top of your pocket end, stop slightly before the edge...leave the needle in the fabric and turn the end piece 90 degrees.
Keep sewing along the long edge of the main piece of fabric.
When you reach the next corner repeat again and sew the last length down the to base.
It should look like the picture above left.
Turn it right side round to check it looks right!! (should look like the picture above right)
Repeat for the other end piece of fabric.
Turn the whole cover right side round and hem right around the bottom edge. I did 2 rows of stitching to give it a more finished look.
And that's it...you're done!
Follow me on BLOGLOVIN